Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Our Lolly Pup

On Monday, April 23, we made the very difficult decision to say goodbye to our Lolly. Well, God made that decision for us. A couple of days after returning from Ellie's baptism, Lolly's health rapidly began to deteriorate. We had hoped a few special foods would help get her back on track but our pup's (who seems to be part cat) 9 lives seemed to be up. At nearly 13 or 14 years old we decided it was time. She was definitely suffering. That morning I called our groomer, Shawndra, and she rushed right over. Neither of us had been looking forward to this day and seeing as she had groomed her the previous Monday and she seemed fine, my call was unexpected. After Shawndra saw her, we knew we couldn't delay for Lolly's sake. Chris, Ellie and I were at the vet at 4 (we asked Shawndra to join us as well and Kate was with a sitter) and by 5 Lolly was in a happier place. It was the most painful heartbreaking decision I have ever made.

We miss her every day! Half the time I think I still see her out of the corner of my eye. I half expect to see her eager face when I turn around from the cutting board in the kitchen. She was an ornery little pup, but she was ours and we adored her. Kate had a few days after Lolly died that she was was sad. We told her Lolly was now in Heaven. She said, "That's where Grandpa is! Now he has a friend!" I admit, it helped to know that this is how Kate thinks of the situation. I told her yes, they are together and he is taking care of her now. She has asked to read our book on Heaven a few times as I think it is helping her trying to figure out where Grandpa and Lolly are now.  Kate has even asked for a picture of her and Lolly taken on the 23rd to be placed by her beside.

I am sad Elizabeth will never know her puppy. Lolly was just starting to notice her more and Elizabeth had really started to notice Lolly. Their last pictures together were taken on the 18th.

As Chris said, she was an ornery dog but everyone loved her! The vet said that out of the thousands of pets they have seen and still see, she was in the top 10. Of course she will be #1 in our hearts. Of course she was my only pet (besides fish) and she will never ever be forgotten. Many many birthday wishes were spent on wishing for a dog. In 2003 my wish came true. Lolly was a difficult dog to care for with all her mental issues from being abandoned and her many health scares but she was our first baby and we loved her to the end!
My pup on the day we brought her into our home. August 15, 2003
Our family 2004
It has been difficult looking through the pictures, but they have brought back many happy memories as well.
decapitated cow!
Lolly's favorite spot was wherever there was food. Chris's college graduation celebration 2007
Lolly loved to stand on our chair at the old house and look at the people passing by.
She wasn't always playful but when she was she was active!
Lolly loved rolling in the dirty, damp bath towels as well as lick the bathwater from our legs!
Just before Christmas 2004 I found her snooping in our guest room closet. She had sniffed out the bag from petsmart! Doesn't she look like a guilty toddler!

Always ready for a car ride!
 
So excited about stairs at our current home.
her favorite spot on the couch.
More food! Doggie Birthday cake. Celebrating Lolly's 10th birthday!
Lolly was very protective of me during my pregnancy with Kate. Here she had been laying on my 39-40 week belly, but when Chris got the camera, she perked up!
 Lolly was hesitant with Kate but she grew to trust her slowly! Here's our furry girl with our growing family. :)
 

Christmas 2011 - Lolly thought Kate's new Playmobil pool was her new dog dish! she soon as we added water, she took a drink!
 We miss you tons, Lolly Pup! We know you are still with us in spirit! Love you!

No comments: