Monday, April 11, 2011

3...2...1...Blast Off! Let's Party!

Saturday we blasted off to Gymboree to celebrate Kate's upcoming 3rd birthday with a space themed party with her many friends!  It was so nice to just focus on creating her space shuttle cake and solar system, and not worry about cleaning and preparing the house for astronauts-in-training. The day of the party I was relaxed and enjoyed the party as much as Kate. :)

Thursday night and Friday morning Kate and I baked the various shaped cakes for the sun, planets and space shuttle. Kate helped decide on the planet colors, but while she napped I conquered the space shuttle.  It was a fun challenge since I was doing it just from pictures, and I think it turned out great, if I say so myself.  Kate was excited when she saw it! She couldn't wait to eat it!

The day of the party, we tried to keep her calm until closer to party time, but she was excited the moment she popped up out of bed.  Dressed in her planet shirt (picked out by her weeks ago), we headed up to town with the cake, camera, balloons and drinks.  The tables had been set and decorations in place.  Kate had a great time getting to playing on the play floor by herself before the guests arrived.
While waiting for the all the guests to arrive, the kids had free time on the floor.  It was so great to see so many of our friends and Kate's friends.
The party began by having all the kids guess how old Kate was now (or in her case, will soon be).  Kate calmly sat in the circle and was spaced out for a bit but finally shouted that she would be 3!  Gunner and Louden (her boyfriends as she calls them) were very excited that she was 3 just like them!
After that we pulled out a small parachute and the kids made a cake.  They have a cute song (which I can't find online) about making a birthday cake by pouring in the sugar, eggs and other ingredients, mixing and baking it. We were taking our cake on our space shuttle to the moon.
Then the flight training started for our future astronauts. The ran around the obstacle course which included the balance beam, monkey bars, ramps and slides, and jumping.
When they were deemed ready for flight they boarded their shuttle and blasted off for their bumpy ride.  They seemed to have a few crash landings but had so much fun! At one point Kate anticipated the dump off and took matter in her own hands and started to fall off herself.  There were so many giggles!
Once we safely landed, the kids collected moon rocks and aliens.
They experienced the lack of gravity on the moon by bouncing along the tube (formerly their rocket). So many smiles on that one too.

Finally after an hour we calmed down with the Freeze dance by Greg and Steve, bubbles and parachute time. Ms. Chris and Ms. Amber had Kate sit down in the middle of the parachute on the half circle to receive her special birthday bubbles.  Since Kate doesn't like being the center of attention (must be the engineer in her), she asked me with her. I guess since our birthdays are only 4 days apart, I could enjoy the bubbles too.

We finally went into what Kate called her birthday party, the room with the cake. She smiled while people sang to her and it only took 4 or 5 attempts to blow out her candles that were sticking out the back of the shuttle engines.  She ate the frosting off the nose of her shuttle (just as she told me she would) and everyone seemed to enjoy the cakes.
 
Thanks, Ms. Chris and Ms. Amber!
We said good-bye, packed the care up and came home to open Kate's party loot.  Her friends were very generous!  I hope she realizes just how much people love her!

Next weekend we will celebrate again but at home. She will receive her presents from us and the family. Nothing like celebrating for a month!  I will make a small cake (Mars with the rover on top - a toy not in frosting) but I might be caked out by my own birthday!

No comments: