Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Fun Times in Alabama

We have been keeping busy over the past 2 months in Alabama! Really it's hard to believe that just 2 months ago, we came here. I feel like it has been a whirlwind!

As soon as we arrived, I already had ideas on what camps Kate would attend.  I found an amazing website (rocketcitymom.com) and it has helped our transition immensely! She did 2 day camps that she was surprisingly excited about as they were art classes. It's at a local art studio and for the kids they draw the picture in pencil and teach them how to paint it. For adults, you can either freehand or trace it. Some day I will go here for myself as it looks like a lot of fun! Anyway, the camps were combined with another few stores int he same shopping strip. The girls painted their paintings and then went next door to Spoiled Rockin' Kidz to get their nails or hair done. Then after a lunch packed from home, they would get ice cream at Baskin Robins. The first class was a unicorn. Seeing as Kate had just gotten into My Little Ponies, this was a thrill for her as she made Twilight Sparkle. They had their nails painted, received a pony glitter tattoo (that lasted 2 weeks at least and we were washing her arm!), a scoop of bubble gum ice cream and a Build-a bear (those take home kind) Unicorn doll. She was so thrilled!
She had such a great time, we signed her up for the next one which was a mermaid. This time she went to the salon an got mermaid hair and a mermaid doll. Kate was very thoughtful and made her painting for her sister. She knows how much Ellie loves Ariel and we will make her room a princess theme so this painting became Ellie's.
After that, Kate started week long classes at Sci Quest, our local science museum. She starts camp number 5 next week as she has enjoyed it so much and gotten more out of it than she did in 2 semesters at Explora! Kate has taken The Science of Holidays, It's Not magic, It's Science, Mighty Machines (she was thrilled to build with K'Nex), Deep Blue Sea and next weeks it's Itsy, Bitsy Science with microscopes! The staff is phenomenal. The college kids teaching it are all teachers in training and you can tell! They are great and enthusiastic. I love that I get a lesson plan so I can ask Kate about her day as she isn't the talker. :) They even get a camp shirt every time (we know have 4 blue shirts and soon 5) and they send a picture of the class at the end. I haven't gotten the Deep Blue Sea picture yet.
Science of Holidays
It's Not Magic, It's Science
Mighty Machines
Of course, we have been to the Rocket Center. It was our first museum visit. We also had a great, wet 4th of July there but I'll try to post that next.
We are very busy but there is still a lot more to explore! I know we hope to see a few more things before school starts!

No comments: