Wednesday, August 17, 2011

21 Week Appointment

While everything looks good with Baby, we did receive some worrisome news.  The placenta is sitting a little to low to the cervix. This condition is called placenta previa.  It isn't not uncommon in women my age and especially since it's my second child.  Luckily it is not directly over my cervix.  As the baby grows, the placenta, too, it will gradually grow and move higher and won't cause any issues.  Worst case scenarios are that I could be put on bed rest near the end, deliver early, and/or have a c-section as the placenta would prevent a normal birth.  So I am hoping and praying that it moves higher.  My midwife isn't too worried about it since those really are the worst case scenarios if it was right over the cervix.  I hope it makes some progress in the next 3 weeks before our next ultrasound so I can stop thinking about it.

At today's appointment Kate finally decided that she wanted to help Laurie, my midwife, find the heartbeat.  She helped put the "jello" on the doppler.  Baby's heart rate was in the 150s.  She has been very active, and I am looking forward to the time when her kicks are a little stronger so Kate can feel her move, too. But I'm not ready for those major kicks and punches!

Another big milestone for Kate happened last night.  She finally referred to her sister as Baby Elizabeth (Eliz-Bit) rather than Baby Girl!  Such a cute big sister.  I scanned pictures of the ultrasound pictures to send the the grandparents and she wanted a copy too. It is now framed and in her room. :) So sweet!

Here are pictures from this weekend when I was 20 weeks, 5 days.  I am certainly carrying this child differently!  With Kate I gained weight everywhere!  With Elizabeth it looks like I am carrying a ball! :)
 

1 comment:

Anabelle said...

You look great!! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the placenta previa doesn't turn into a worse case scenerio.